Wednesday 29 March 2017

visiting guest speaker : Jo Blaker: Sketchbook talk




Jo Blaker came into our studio to deliver a talk on sketchbook. Her huge array of style and approach to sketchbooks is very interesting. She brought a big variety of work from her degree work to present day. I could really notice the development of how she has changed. I feel her approach is almost a personal journey documenting anything she finds interesting. I like her open approach to it, some of her sketchbooks almost feel like looking childish at work with the abstraction and free flowing forms. This contrasts with her linear accurate sketches with I find focus on perspective. This mix of style allows her to approach with a broad range of techniques to approach a project or brief with. I think the key aspect I picked up from the talk is the principle of having fun and playing with your work. Maybe that might not produce a pretty picture at first but keeping an open mind to experimenting at the beginning of a project creates a lot more routes of entry in how to approach a brief.

some of my favourite sketchbook pages:







No comments:

Post a Comment